It’s not every day that you buy a new mattress, so making the right decision the first time is a must! If you follow theses our mattress buying guide you’ll make your next mattress purchase an easy one!
1. Take measurements of where the bed will be going. Be sure to take into account the size of the headboard and footboard. Measure doorways and hallways to make sure bed will fit. Buying a bed that is too big or too small for your bedroom can be a huge mistake. Make sure to take advantage of a spacious room but not to over crowd a small one. Standard sizes are:
— Twin 39″x 75″
— Full (aka double) 54″x 75″
— Queen 60″x 80″
— King 76″x 80″
— California King 72″ x 84″
2. Know the difference between mattress types like memory foam, inner spring, latex and airbeds. There are many different types of mattresses with different benefits depending on each person’s personal preference. Researching mattress types to know what each means and how it can make you sleep better can be helpful before coming into the store. If you don’t research before you come in, don’t worry a friendly salesperson will be glad to show you around and tell you all about them.
3. Go to a local mattress store. Don’t shop online. Shopping online for a mattress is one of the worst things you can do when buying a mattress. The average person spends over 1/3 of their life on their mattress and picking out the wrong one without trying it first can dramatically decrease a person’s quality of life. You really need to feel the mattress, test it out and picture yourself sleeping on it every night before you make your decision. If you purchase online you don’t know what you’re really getting before it gets there. So don’t be drawn in by gimmicks of free shipping and low prices by online competitors. Online products will almost always be inferior to a local mattress store or outlet and that will only hurt you in the end!
4. Let the sales person help you. If the salesperson is any good, he will actually be your best resource. Mattress salespeople are astonishingly good at finding the best fit for customers, if you are willing to answer their questions. They really want to find the best fit for you, because it is customer satisfaction and loyalty that drives businesses today. The more information you give them, the more they’ll be able to help.
5. Do the 15-minute mattress test. The number one reason why people return mattresses is because they didn’t test it out for 15 minutes before purchasing it. Industry experts say, if a person spends 15 minutes or more testing out the mattress in their natural sleep position it will give them a good idea of how the mattress will feel to them when it’s in their home. So go ahead and lay on it! The mattress salespeople know this rule and will even tell you to lie on it for as long as you want to. This step is key to picking the best mattress.
6. Get a new box spring. When you replace the mattress replace the box spring as well. Over time the constant compression of the springs will compromise the structural integrity of the box spring causing your sleep to be hampered. A new box spring doesn’t add that much more cost to your purchase and it will make the mattress last longer and your sleep experience even better.
7. Buy the mattress protector or mattress encasement. I know you’re thinking, “I’m not going to spill anything on the mattress and I think it’s a waste of money.” But think of the other reasons! Dust mites and allergens can make their way into your mattress without proper protection. A mattress encasement that fully encases the mattress will not let anything in and keep your mattress investment lasting even longer. And for those of you withkids, anencasement or protector is necessary especially for young ones, you know, just in case!
Mattress Factory Outlet is a local mattress store specializing in selling mattresses at 55% of retail or more! We have factory trained sleep specialists that will help you through this life changing purchase. Let us help you find the right mattress so you can Sleep Well and Spend Less today! Stop by the store in Farmington Hills, Michigan or give us a call at 248-855-4799 for your sleep consultation.